Monday 12 November 2012

Bookshops

Continuing the theme of places where I enjoy passing time, today I'm going to talk about bookshops.

Despite the fact that I'm an enthusiastic Kindle user, I still love "proper" paper books. I love the smell, the tactile experience and the sense of satisfaction as I watch my progress through whichever tome I happen to be reading. None of these things can adequately be replicated on an e-reader. An extension of this is that bookshops are pretty much the only shops where I can enjoy browsing.

I had almost forgotten this fact until recently. Most of the books I have bought recently have been via Amazon. This is either because I wanted them for my kindle or because it was cheaper to buy them second hand there than buy them new. Unfortunately new books are still prohibitively expensive even with money off and special offers. However, on the flip side, clicking through pages and pages of books on Amazon isn't nearly as satisfying. Also, it means I usually go on to Amazon to purchase specific books rather than browse and that's a shame since I have picked up some absolutely wonderful books over the years simply by picking one up, having a quick flick through and going on gut instinct.

Anyway, I rediscovered the pleasure of browsing in bookshops the other day when I had some time to kill before an appointment. I considered going for a coffee but I didn't much fancy forking out a fortune for something that I wasn't particularly going to enjoy in the first place. Therefore, I found myself ambling into the nearest bookshop with the vague notion that I might get some ideas for Christmas presents.

Strangely, despite my usual reticence to national chain stores, book shops are something of an exception. I generally don't have a problem browsing through Waterstones despite the fact that they have a near-monopoly on the high street book sales market. I rather like the layout of their shops which creates lots of little alcoves where one can go and explore. There is also ample provision of chairs so you can sit and flick through a book before deciding whether or not to buy it (or make a note of it to buy second hand on Amazon: cheeky but needs must at the moment). I love browsing through all the sections seeing what catches my eye. I love the feeling of being surrounded by so many stories, so many things to learn and the possibility that my outlook on life could be partially or completely changed by the contents between the covers.

Strangely and slightly counter-intuitively I don't get the same feeling in libraries. One would think that, if anything, the feeling would be magnified there since there's no pressure to buy. I think part of the problem may just be the atmosphere. Every time I go into a library I get hit by a wall of silence that is as oppressive as it is deafening. As I have said in previous posts, I really don't like the sound of silence. For some reason I find it deeply unsettling and being enveloped in that atmosphere makes it impossible to be at ease. In book shops however there is always a gentle murmur of human activity; not much but enough to be there in the background and be comforting.

One thing I don't like about modern book shops is the presence of franchised coffee shops in them. Apart from the fact that the pervasive smell of over-brewed  coffee and steamed milk ruins the smell of the books, it just doesn't seem necessary. I mean, the bigger department stores aside, which other shopping venues have built in catering? It all seems a bit much and a bit too blatant an attempt to part people from their cash whether they like it or not.

A final area which I haven't yet touched on but I absolutely love are second hand book shops. I love browsing through these and uncovering complete gems of books that I would probably never look twice at otherwise. Over they years I have found some complete gems in them and total bargains too. It is possible to emerge with several books and still have change of a tenner. Even better is the fact that most second hand book shops are run by charities so one can be fairly sure that most of what you spend is going to a reasonably good cause. Where I am at the moment, the charity book shops offer a reasonable chance of getting good quality antique books. I was heartbroken recently when I saw an early edition Pride and Prejudice in one. It would have been perfect for my girlfriend's Christmas present. Unfortunately I wasn't working at the time and couldn't justify the cost of buying it when there wasn't any prospect of work imminently. When I got a job a few weeks later the first thing I did was return to the shop to try and get it for her but unfortunately someone else had got there before me and snapped it up. Hopefully there will be others.

Anyway, on that note I will bring my ramble through the merits of book shops to a close.

JR

No comments:

Post a Comment