Monday 12 September 2011

Musings

I haven't posted in a while. This hasn't been because I've had nothing to write about, rather the opposite in fact. There are many serious items in the news I would like to pass comment on a) to explore my thoughts on the subject and b) in the hope that they get read by someone of influence and considered, even if they don't lead to change. Many more stories are less serious but make me grumpy. If I post about these it will be in the form of a bit of a rant that hopefully those of you that read this will find amusing. A lot of stuff is happening in my personal life at the moment as well. I'm not sure I will write about this as it would be really rather narcissistic of me to think that it would be of interest to anyone else. I realise that what is happening is nothing more than the slings and arrows of normal life and, while it isn't too pleasant for me, it isn't the biggest deal in the world. Overall, I know I have a pretty good lot in life and it would be extremely selfish to complain about it.

I see from the stats on my blog that I have a reader in America (yes I am sad enough to check these things). I purposefully didn't write anything yesterday as I thought the day was better suited to quiet reflection and found the hyperbolic sentimentality and action replays that featured heavily in the British Media insensitive and distasteful. However my thoughts were with those that suffered on that dreadful day ten years ago. My heart goes out to those who have perished and their families. I hope the resulting conflicts can be resolved swiftly and with the minimum loss of life.

I, like so many, remember exactly where I was ten years ago. I remember so clearly how I felt. Initially I didn't believe it. I thought the person telling me was making it up. When I saw proof on telly I felt numb disbelief. It took many minutes for the enormity of the events unfolding to sink in. Fairly quickly I found myself thinking, "The world is never going to be the same again". Along with this I was angry. I don't agree with killing people however I accept in limited circumstances it is necessary for the greater good. This was not one of  these circumstances. Killing innocent people going about their daily lives is inexcusable. Killing people on this scale was a work of pure evil. It made me angry that some twisted individuals saw fit to do this to their fellow human beings.

Ten years have passed. In this time, Britain has suffered attacks on her soil and against our citizens. The anger has galvanised. How dare certain individuals attack innocent people who are simply getting on with their lives?

Today, Britain and the U.S. stand together fighting those that seek to oppress and destroy us. It has cost us dearly. Hundreds of our troops have died in battle. Hundreds more have been wounded. However this fight is just. We cannot bow to those that seek to destroy us; we must defend ourselves and our way of life. We must fight the bully that tries to stop us choosing how we live but we must be careful not to lose ourselves in the process.

Ten years have passed and I hope we can soon find lasting peace and security.

JR

No comments:

Post a Comment