Friday 16 September 2011

Changing Times

"Bollocks!" Not a crude attempt by me to be offensive but a direct quote from BBC Radio 4's morning news programme Today. This word featured not just on the BBC but on Radio 4 (admittedly it was in reference to Downtown Abbey so entirely justified). Immediately I e-mailed my dad (a St. Andrews Ambulance volunteer - the Scottish equivalent of SJA) and my unit leader and told them to expect an emergency call out; middle Britain, as the typical demographic who listen to radio 4, would collectively be choking on their breakfasts and having aneurysms of outrage.

The call out never came but the fact that such language occurred is still surprising. This comes on the back of George Osbourne talking openly and jokingly about boys pleasuring themselves during a speech at an awards dinner and David Cameron talking about Tweeting Twats. Who can forget, during the most recent Conservative leadership elections, David Cameron and David Davies discussing their preferred choice of underwear on Women's hour?

All this goes to suggest our society is becoming much less formal.  Our elected representatives are allowing a more human side of themselves to be seen and institutions known for their conservatism are becoming much less stuffy. After all, we all let slip with bad language from time to time. Although it should never be normalised and accepted into polite conversation the odd slip is forgiveable.

Oddly enough, I find this change rather reassuring. I quite like the image of our Prime Minister having a cheeky pint before dinner and being gently scolded by his wife when he nips out for a fag. We all do it (or similar) after all. It is rather nice to know that the holders of the great offices of state are not consumed with pomposity and their own importance. Osborne gently poking fun a politicians, while vulgar, shows that he is aware of the stereotypes surrounding them. What better way to start tackling them and create a more positive impression of our government. Ultimately, the relaxing of conventional formalities does not denigrate the intellect of individuals. In fact, I would argue a pervasive sense of self-importance is likely to make an individual far less open to receiving advice and suggestions for improvement. If the reduction in formality required to create this atmosphere means our elected representatives are occasionally caught making a risque statement or indulging in pleasures that are not entirely wholesome then so be it. That said, a line should probably be drawn at making "your mum" jokes in response to awkward questions... unless it's a really, really good one.

This attitude, perversely, doesn't really sit easily with me. Normally I am a very conservative person. I write with a fountain pen wherever possible, I own (and wear) tweed, I always err towards the formal and am generally not a fan of change. I am the kind of person that will turn up to a party in a suit as being overly smart doesn't particularly bother me whereas being overly informal is incredibly stressful. I would never dream of wearing sports clothes in public unless participating in exercise and I'm not terribly sure I'm comfortable with the current vogue of calling bosses by their first name (although even I admit a near-ubiquitous "Sir" is a bit much). I suppose it's no surprise that my mother refers to me as her "Young fogey".

I'm not sure how, or indeed if, this has a knock on effect on everyday life. The only tangible example I can think of where it is quite useful relates to clothing. Like I say, I usually dress smart-ish. This means I can comfortably switch from relaxing with my peers to meeting with academic staff/line managers to going out to a fairly smart bar in the evening and never feel massively out of place by the way I am dressed. I would say that my fairly traditional attitudes mean I try to do right by others as well as myself, don't see reward as being distinct from effort and don't view sex as a fleeting social exchange. Maybe that simply shows how out of touch I am with the rest of the world!

Either way, I may loosen my tie slightly and occasionally write with a ball-point. I hope these changes signify that our leaders are more interested in doing their jobs than of their own importance (as a seasoned Yes Minister fan I doubt it) however if I am proved wrong then it's national service for the lot of them!

2 comments:

  1. I use a fountain pen when I write.
    I wear tweed.
    I would always far rather be overdressed than underdressed for an occasion.
    The only sportswear I wear in public is riding gear.

    Too many people don't make the effort with their appearance nowadays. My boyfriend gets exasperated with me because I insist on applying makeup and doing my hair to a reasonable degree before I leave the house. I won't sit for hours and preen but it takes minimal effort to add an extra 30 minutes to do my hair and makeup. Appearances count for a lot and I am afraid to say that my opinion is formed a lot on what people dress themselves in. Not always but often.

    I also refuse to talk like a chav and use the dreaded 'txt spk'!
    There is nothing wrong with having standards :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen!

    I suppose it boils down to the fact that if people can be bothered to put a bit of effort into what they look like, they can generally be bothered to do more than the absolute bare minimum in other circumstances. Good to know with friends, essential when encountering people in a professional context.

    As for text abbreviations; need to forward those messages and get them translated.

    ReplyDelete