Wednesday 21 September 2011

Blogging

Blogging, what is it and why do I do it?

Some do it as an outlet for personal frustration, others for educational purposes, yet more because they have something to say. So far, I have written about a mixture of things that I have seen in the world around me that have provoked particularly strong feelings and things happening in my life.

The next question is why... In the case of the issues of the day, I want to say my piece and possibly raise awareness. To what end I'm not sure. It just feels somehow right to write about them. In terms of the stuff more specific to me it's a different ball game. Writing about things does offer a form of personal catharsis. Doing it on computer rather than on paper means I can read it later (my handwriting is utterly bloody illegible). Putting it out there on the internet will hopefully give others some form of amusement.

I must confess, I have always fancied the idea of being a writer and, looking at the stats of my blog, it's rather flattering to see that people are reading what I write. Not only do I enjoy the process of arranging words and playing with English to try and convey exactly what I'm thinking but I also like the fact that people seem to think I'm interesting enough to read (unless they stumbled here by mistake; in which case, sorry!). So far the comments I have received both on my blog and in response to other comments I have left have been warm and friendly. Before I started blogging, I followed a number of other blogs. Since I have started, I have been following yet more. What has always impressed and intrigued me is the strong sense of community that appears to be present on line. Slowly, I am beginning to feel part of that community. Although almost everybody uses screen names etc, I think the semi-anonymity is quite a good thing. It allows everyone (myself included) to interact in a totally new way and free of preconceptions and prejudices that govern every-day social interaction. That said, sometimes I still feel a wee bit like Adrian Mole (don't worry, no long passages of adolescent, lustful poetry or banal details about spots... promise!)

So far I have enjoyed this process. Finding things to write about hasn't been nearly as hard as I thought (probably something to do with being a gobby sod) and writing them down has become much easier with practice. Hopefully whoever reads this will continue to enjoy doing so for as long as I write.

JR


1 comment:

  1. Blogging is a funny thing isn't it?

    I started my blog quite a while ago now and originally, it was just to get things off my chest because I tend to have quite strong opinions on some topics. It has since evolved in to a 'anything goes' blog and I am surprised that anyone reads it, certainly in the numbers that seem to. I write my blog for me but it is always nice to get feedback and other peoples opinions and ideas.
    You are right, there does seem to be a sense of community in blogging that means you interact with people you would otherwise not have the opportunity to. It is a part of technology and modern life that I am glad has come about. Like you, I also enjoy the anonymity as if my blog were an open one that had my name and picture on, there would be a lot of things that I would feel I could not put down in words.

    Keep blogging though, I enjoy your posts :o)

    ReplyDelete