Friday 30 September 2011

More tales from Duty

Morning, have been really rather dour recently because of job applications amongst other things. however feeling better (though not sure why) so thought I would share some more stories from SJA duties for some comedy value.

One that always sticks in my mind was when I was at a sporting event in a London park. I was sitting in the back of our mobile first aid post (think bus with beds in the back and blue lights on the top) doing what we do best in SJA - drinking tea - when the guy in the front cab who was monitoring the radio called me forward. Naturally I assumed it was some potential incident developing so I meandered up (plus tea if you're interested) to see what was going on. Fortunately there was no incident; just some rather attractive young ladies which we duly admired. This caused us to be branded, "Tarts" by a 10 year old cadet who was out with us much to the amusement of everyone else. Fair point but she didn't have to be so mean about it!

Another story comes from a music festival. I was standing in front of the stage during the last act. While there a rather pretty girl makes eye contact with me and smiles. Naturally I smile back (slightly shocked given I'm wearing a hi-vis and a horrible polyester shirt). At this point my eye is caught by what looks like someone in distress so, reluctantly, I look away. The other person was fine so I scan the crowd and see the girl has moved closer. More smiling, mouthing of pleasantries. This goes on until the band have finished at which point I switch back into full duty mode and keep an eye on the crowd dispersal. A few minutes later I look up and see her standing at the barrier. This is where things start to go BADLY wrong. She says, "Do I know you from somewhere?"
Obviously this is a fairly strong chat up line but I'm so surprised to be being chatted up I respond, "Ummmmm, I don't think so."
Valiantly she perseveres by saying, "Are you sure? You look really familiar."
I have realised what is gone and trying to prevent the impending train wreck I search for something cool to say. Unfortunately the best I can ocme up with is, "Hopefully not from the wanted posters."
Unsurprisingly she left fairly swiftly after that. My lovely mates do of course remind me of this at every possible opportunity.

A short while after the above incident I was out on foot patrol at a busy London duty when a girl with a cut to her head presents herself to my team. As we patch her up ready to take her back to the treatment centre, a copper grabs me and presents me with another girl who had apparently overdosed on drugs. Both needed further assessment and monitoring so I got the team moving and radioed through to the centre so they could be set up for when we arrived. Unfortunately the signal was poor so at the other end all they heard was my callsign, "two girls" and "drugs... Head injury". Apparently the universal reaction of my colleagues was, "JR's pulled at last"... Charming!

Funally an awwwwww story. I was on duty in a central London park enjoying the sunshine when a daschund puppy (only a few months old) came over to investigate the cente (and probably try and get access to the contents of our lunch packs). Being a huge dog lover I bend down and give said puppy a scratch behind the ears then start stroking it's belly. Because it was so small and young I didn't realise how light it was and suddenly the puppy was levatating about a foot off the ground and looking a bit confused! He was returned to the ground unharmed and unperturbed. He didn't manage to get into the lunch packs though!

JR

No comments:

Post a Comment