Friday 23 September 2011

Jobs and other stuff

Had a job interview of sorts today. It was a conversation/interview with a recruitment consultant about being a recruitment consultant. Not exactly the same as a lawyer but it sounds interesting. As importantly, he was making very positive noises about the skills I have and my prospects of getting a job. This is more than a little reassuring since I am getting to my wits end about hot to get gainful employment.

In other news, I was reading in the paper about the women's olympic handball team. I'm not particularly into handball (in fact the only time it ever came into my life before was in german lessons at school). What made it stand out was the fact that the firls in the team all had proper jobs.

I have always been against the professionalisation of sport. Not just the obscenely overpaid footballers but all those that do nothing but play sport.

I understand the importance of exercise in a healthy lifestyle and support those who try and remain active. That is the sensible level. People who want to take this interest to a competitive high-level should do this on their own time as a hobby. Paying them to do so is a monumental waste of money that could be better spent and human resource that can be better employed. Encouraging people to devote their whole energy, commitment and enthusiasm to an activity which should be reserved for idling away a bit of free time is toxic for them and those around them.

Rant over (for now).

JR

No comments:

Post a Comment