Tuesday 19 February 2013

R.I.P. Richard Briers

The actor Richard Briers died today. He will be a sadly missed by British viewers both on stage and on screen.

I haven't had the good fortune to see the late Mr Briers on stage but his radio and TV works have been among my favourites. His portrayal of the naive Simon Sparrow in Doctor in the House unfailingly had me chortling; partly in memory of my own med-school days, partly out of the wonderfully twisted scrapes the character got in. Similarly Brothers in Law adapted for radio was a hoot. However it was as Tom Good in the Good Life that I was first introduced to Richard Briers and that remains one of my favourite roles of his. Even at an early age, his impeccable comic timing and charming yet roguish twinkle shone through the screen.

Recently I encountered Richard Briars a few years on in his career as Hector MacDonald in Monarch of the Glen. Rather poignantly I watched the episode with his character's funeral last night.

Every character I associate with Briers has one common thread. They are all thoroughly nice guys. While I'm sure, as an actor, he was more than capable of portraying a range of characters I still think the "affableness" shines through and is a reflection of his true character. It's not a big leap of the imagination. 

Briers will be sorely missed by generations of fans. I will be one of them. I was genuinely sad to hear of his passing. I am also grateful for what he has contributed to British Culture. 

JR

No comments:

Post a Comment