Friday 22 February 2013

British Justice - Trial by Jury

In my previous post Trial by Jury I discussed the merits of the Jury system in British Justice. This issue has come into focus again this week with the discharge of the Jury in the trial of Vicky Price, former wife of Chris Hune, after they asked questions that the Judge believed showed a fundamental misunderstanding of their role.

Can you really blame them? The criminal justice system is notoriously complicated. Often this complication can be used by legal practitioners to muddy the waters for the jury in the hope of getting an acquittal. Even the role of the jury requiries a bit of mental gymnastics.

I said in my previous post and I will reassert here, the system needs to change to reflect the world as we live today. For this to happen, I believe recruiting a pool of semi-professional jurours who would be willing to give the case due consideration and who fully understand their role in the proceedings is the best way forward. I think it would increase the odds on a fair trial for the defendant and be a more efficient use of taxpayer's money by avoiding the need for costly re-trials such as the one Ms Pryce is due to face.

JR

No comments:

Post a Comment