Saturday 31 March 2012

Job Interview

Finally there has been progress on the job front. At long last I have had an email inviting me to an intervire for a training contract.

For what seems like an eternity, my attempts to begin a career in law have been doing little more than stagnating. Most of the time, my CV seems to disappear off into the ether, never to be heard of again. Occasionally I get a rejection (though of course no real constructive feedback to go with it). As you can imagine, this is pretty soul crushing. I do not believe in giving up and I will never surrender but I will confess I have been beginning to wonder if I would ever set some sort of meaningful career. With each day that passes, doubt in my employability increases and it's not a particularly nice feeling.

Yesterday evening an email hit my phone offering me an interview. Not only that, it is a firm for whom I would dearly like to work. Not only does it work in all the areas of law that I'm interested in (and suit my idea of achieving justice for people) but, from what I can tell, the corporate ethos will really suit me. Rather than employing trainees to flog then discard them; this firm seems to regard them as an investment to be nurtured and retained.

This is a first interview. I am up against a maximum of 30 others and have the prospect of more interviews and testing should this go well. I am under no illusions that I still have a long way to go BUT it is a big step forward. It is the first time I haven't been rejected. The fact that it's from a firm that I'm extremely enthusiastic about is better still.

I hope I get this jos. I really want it. Even if I don't, it isn't the end. It's reassurance that I am of interest to firms. Hopefully this will signal the beginning of the end of the mire that has been my professional life of late.

Wish me luck!

JR

No comments:

Post a Comment