Saturday 22 October 2011

On the Move

This was supposed to go up yesterday but dimwit here sent it to the wrong address!

JR

Currently I'm on the train back to Scotland. It's my mum's birthday so I'm going up for some celebrations.
Generally I like travelling by train. It doesn't have all the silly restrictions that aircraft have so I can take some beer and some sandwiches. Although the journey takes around five and a half hours; spending five and a half hours with the paper, a good (or bad) book, sandwiches and beer is time well spent. Regardless of where it is. I have also had the pleasure of meeting some really cool people on such journeys. For some reason, a lot of the afforementioned seem to be soldiers (possibly because part of the job is meeting and working with new people all the time) and for some reason, the chat starts immediately and the gentle piss-taking not long after. A side effect however is often the consumption of large amounts of alcohol leading to slight problems using the oyster card. Another thing I like about the train is that one is moving pretty much all the time. It gives the impression of actually going somewhere.
Compare that to flying where you get treated with contempt on a good day and worse on a bad. Having to turn up weeks in advance annoys me, as does having to sit around in a departure "lounge" where the seats seem designed to be as uncomfortable as physically possible and the bar prices so exorbitant as to make boojees seem reasonable. You could argue the advantage of duty free but to be honest who actually needs it? Inevitably I spend money I don't have on things I don't really need. I also hate the pervasive air of suspicion that follows everyone round an airport. The blanket ban on fluids etc to my mind is a presumption of guilt (but don't start me on the constitutional side). As an aside, the air is thick with exasperated stress.
The only advantage to air travel that I can see is that phones are banned (for now) so it's a merciful haven from some twat shouting into their i-phone to prove they have one. Admittedly that is a hollow victory since most trains have quiet coaches which are generally respected.
Give me the train any day.
On another note, I found out today that I passed my resit. I am now qualified to begin practicing law (under supervision). I wish I could say I felt jubilant but in all honesty, the course has been such a slog that all I feel is gentle relief. The more I think about it, the more I feel that I could, if not enjoy, at least be reasonably satisfied with a career in law. It's just getting a foot in the door. My dad asked if I had some sort of graduation for it. To be honest, the thought never even crossed my mind. Even if there was I don't think I will go. My biology graduation was the big one. It was the culmination of a lot of hard work, personal development and a milestone in my life. This feels nothing like that. It was a hell of a slog to get through but it is, and always has been, a stepping stone to a job and as such, I don't really think all the pomp and ceremony is necessary.
To change tack again; I'm still really enjoying the job. Office banter is beginning to build up which is always good and I still like exploring London (and defying the satnav knowing that I know best... Then getting lost). I met another lovely person today. Another volunteer. I was dropping some stuff off at her house. She was an older lady (the gentleman lurking within me prevents me from guessing an exact age) with a real spark in her eye. I saw photos of what I presume are grandchildren in pride of place on the hall table and I get the impression she's a wonderful granny.
Her air of vitality reminded me of some of my own relatives; my great grandmother who lived in an Aberdeenshire croft until well into her 70s and made up harvest parcels for "the old folks" until round about the same age. Also my grandmother who insisted on helping with the washing up at her old folks home and had the local ducks virtually tame from regular feeding (and always, but always, had a bag of my favourite sweets for when I came to visit... Always gratefully appreciated even when I was in my mid-teens and should have been far too cool - well it's ok when it's from your granny).
I can feel a wave of nostalgia gathering but the train is probably not the most appropriate place to express it. Perhaps later...
JR

No comments:

Post a Comment