Friday 7 October 2011

Desert Island

As an avid listener to Radio 4, I have been known to listen to Desert Island Discs. Admittedly, given the time it's on (first thing on a Sunday morning - or might as well be after Saturday night) I am usually fairly selective about which episodes I listen to but there have been some brilliant ones.

For those of you not familiar with the format; someone either famous or highly regarded in their fields chooses eight pieces of music that are particularly significant or meaningful to them that they would take to a desert island. Coupled to this they are allowed to take one (non-practical) luxury and a book; the complete works of Shakespeare and the Bible being included as well.

As I am unlikely to become either important or famous enough to have my own episode on Radio 4, I have made my choices and here they are:

1. Scotland the Brave/Heilan' Laddie/The Black Bear - Played by the Massed Bands of the Scots Guards. I love the rousing sounds of the bagpipes combined with the steady beat of the drums. The tunes are all fantastic too. On the occasional times I go out running, the people I go running with can always tell when this particular track comes on the MP3 player; apparently I'm off like a rocket!

2. Triumphal March from Aida - Either by the Massed Bands of the Household Cavalry or played in the Verona Opera House. Aida was one of the first operas I ever saw and it was in the Verona Opera house. The music was breathtaking, the performance was stunning. In addition to this, it was the finale we all played when I did a residential music summer school many years ago. Playing it (as a trumpeter) was a rush, especially in front of hundreds of people.

3. 500 Miles - The Proclaimers. Well why not. It's just good.

4. The James Bond Theme Tune - Monty Norman (well until the case is fully resolved). I have loved Bond since I was a small boy (some may argue my mental state hasn't changed!) and still avidly watch all the films both old and new. The theme tune is one of the few pieces of music that genuinely sends shivers up my spine. It brings on the expectation of things to come.

5. Goldfinger - Shirley Bassey. Favourite Bond film. Enough said.

6. Ride of the Valkyries - Wagner. No particular reason, I just love this piece of music.

7. Baywatch Theme Tune - Who Knows? When I was much younger I used to watch some/all of Baywatch before the main event of Saturday night TV; Gladiators. Naturally, as an 8 year old, I found the rescues by far and away the most exciting part. While I was at Uni. I was in the lifesaving club and had the time of my life. Naturally this tune became an unofficial anthem for the club (despite it being hideously overplayed when we went out on club nights out). Every time I hear the tune now, I am reminded of the good times I had in the club... and I still like the rescues although they may no longer be the best bits in the show;-)

8. The London Underground Song - Amateur Transplants. For those of you that haven't heard of this band, they perform covers of well known songs, usually with filthy lyrics... schoolboy humour in essence. This song is no different. They take the Jam's, "Going Underground" and rework it about London tube strikes with lots and lots and LOTS of naughty words. Regardless of what you think about the tube strikes/strikes in general, this song captures the universal frustration and anger felt by normal people during public services strikes. And has lots of naughty words.

The book I would take would be the complete works of Ian Flemming. Surprise! I only got into the Bond novels in my later teens but I love them. They offer something different and usually darker to the films but, in my opinion, Flemming fulfilled his self-imposed brief; to write some of the best spy stories ever.

Now for the slightly controversial bit; as I don't believe in the Bible, I would argue to be allowed swap it for something else. The book I would chose to replace it is Vander, Sherman and Luciano's "Human Physiology". This isn't a theological point I'm trying to make; it is simply that my degree was in Human Biology. The subject has always fascinated me and I enjoyed studying it. Unfortunately, I can feel what I learned beginning to ebb away since I am no longer using the knowledge as much. This book was one of my main text books at Uni. I have it with me down in London and still flick through it occasionally but if I was on a desert island, I would have the time to sit down and really get to grips with the subject again.

As for the complete works of Shakespeare; unless I was stuck for kindling I would much prefer to swap this as well. Bad experiences at school have left me with a life-long loathing of Shakespeare so I would far rather exchange the compendium for a large, bound volume of blank paper and a pen. I have grown to really enjoy blogging. Obviously, this would be a little difficult on said island so the blank paper and pen would allow me to continue to write and perhaps post up anything interesting upon my escape.

For my luxury, well that's the easiest choice of all; an unlimited supply of Edradour with a cut glass tumbler. Edradour is my favourite whisky of all time. It has a light, sweet, creamy flavour that sits on the tongue and feels delicious. Added to that is the undeniably quaint image on the bottle of the distillery; essentially a collection of farm buildings in an Highland valley. It was once described by someone at the distillery as a, "Breakfast whisky" because it can be drunk with breakfast or any time before or after! I can't disagree. It is drinkable in the heat or in the cold, during the day or night and in celebration or commiseration. In short, I genuinely think it's the perfect whisky.

JR

No comments:

Post a Comment