Thursday 25 August 2011

The Archers

I love the internet. It has just proved to me that I am not the youngest person to
(voluntarily) listen to the archers.
I have listened to the archers, fairly consistently, for the last ten years or so. It started on the back of my father's enthusiasm for the show. It was a pleasant follow on to the half-six comedy show. Since then, I have become engrossed with the goings on of Ambridge.
Part of the charm, I think, is the fact it is so determinedly quaint. Usually the raciest it gets is a suggestively rustling hay bail! Naturally there have been some controversy. Right now we have a gay marriage, a single mother and (perhaps most shockingly of all) a crop of kids/young adults that seem relatively decent members of society - if you look through teenage angst and occasional naughtiness - rather than the chlamidyia laden, drug addled monsters the media would sometimes have us believe are roaming our streets.
The length is just about perfect too. Just long enough for a coffee and a slice of Jill's lemon drizzle cake (recipe tantalisingly unforthcoming) but no longer meaning a pleasant listening experience without feeling one has taken too long out one's day.
I like the cohesion amongst archers fans. I have long conversations with my father and girlfriend's mother about the latest developments. Other long conversations have been bourne out of mutual appreciation of the series.
One story that always amuses me is an anecdote in Andy McNab's book, "Bravo Two Zero" where he describes being in the SAS base in Saudi prior to going behind enemy lines in Iraq during the first gulf war. Amongst descriptions of weapons being cleaned and kit readied, he talks of hearing the strains of the theme tune amongst the general hubbub. The image of these ultra-hard soldiers avidly following countryside goings on amuses me every time.
As a final thought, I would like to remind you of a Billy Connolly routine where he suggests the Archers theme tune would be the ideal candidate for a new UK national anthem. I couldn't agree more. It's cheery, optimistic and represents so many aspects of quintessential Britishness... And there are no words to struggle to remember!
Now. All together now... Tum tee tum te tum te tum...
JR

No comments:

Post a Comment