Sunday 20 January 2013

Boffins

There are some words in the English language that I can't stand. Some I don't like because of how the sound (strange I know), some I dislike because they are absolutely meaningless and finally there are some that I dislike because of what they stand for. The word "boffin" fits nicely into the last category.

I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it!

I think I've made my feelings clear.

We've all seen it used before. There's a programme on telly, usually at prime time, and as soon as something vaguely technical happens, the (ludicrously dumbed-down) explanation is preceded with, "Boffins tell us!". The image conjured up, and no doubt intended, is one of a lonely mad scientist sitting alone in his lab (or shed) counting test tubes while everyone else is getting on with life. A sad billy-no mates who, because he (and we're going with s. 1 of the Interpretation Act and reading the masculine as feminine also) is into science, obviously has no other interests what so ever and can only derive satisfaction from data generation.

As I have said before, my first degree was in Human Biology. In some small way, I call myself a scientist and am extremely proud to do so. Science as a field is cool: yes I know I sound like some camp GCSE recruitment poster but I genuinely believe that. Not just the field I chose to study either (although, obviously that's the most interesting of the lot) but more generally than that. How can people not be interested in the way the world works. I don't necessarily mean gaining a detailed understanding of the finer points of all branches of science but taking away a rough grasp. The basics really aren't hard, especially if you're prepared to open you're mind a bit.

When I was younger I did some tutoring of special needs kids in my school giving them one to one help with their science. I was originally supposed to be helping out generally but when the special needs department found out about my passion and background in science, a lot of that was delegated to me since a lot of them came from arts backgrounds. I am pleased to say that I opened the eyes of a lot of the kids I was tutoring to science and gave them genuine enthusiasm, Their grades went through the roof as well and we all got a lot out of it.

In the wider world, Prof. Brian Cox is doing a lot to popularise astrophysics. Undoubtedly his boyband looks help as does his generally endearing nature. Dara O'Brien is also doing his bit by adding a popular face (he himself studied physics so has understanding as well as an ability to present). This is a good start but we need more. Scientists are still largely classified as a bunch of geeks who are not really in touch with the world as others see it. This is of course rubbish and needs to change.

On a related note, if any TV or radio producers are reading this and fancy making a human biology series with a handsome(ish) front man with subject knowledge and infectious enthusiasm... give me a shout.

JR

No comments:

Post a Comment