Saturday 27 October 2012

Skyfall at Last

So that was it. The culmination of three years of waiting. I have finally seen Skyfall. My mind is still reeling. I will write a fuller post on it when I've had time to absorb and process what I've seen (and maybe see it again) but in short, it is truly wonderful; easily the best Bond in the last 20 years. It could even be on a par with Goldfinger in my estimations. Potentially it could be regarded as genre-defining although only time will tell on that one.

I'm not going to discuss any of the details at the moment so I don't spoil it for those anticipating seeing it in the near future but let me say, go and see it as soon as possible. It delivers everything one would expect of a Bond film and so, so, so much more.

Earlier I described it as the Bond equivalent of eating at a Heston Blumenthal restaurant (where Goldfinger is more akin to eating at Gordon Ramsay). In short, Goldfinger is classic in it's style but at the absolute pinnacle with it. Skyfall is easily recognisable as a Bond film (as Heston's creations are recognisable as food) however the presentation and delivery on both counts is mind-blowing and takes you to places you didn't think possible.

I know I'm gushing like a schoolgirl here but I make no apologies for it. This is truly a masterpiece of the franchise combining innovation (not a concept I'm usually a fan of as you will know from previous posts) with lots of references to the past; some subtle, others more tongue in cheek. Not only that but there are references to events in the real world of intelligence (although I can't go into them without revealing a major plot twist). It's definitely one for the diehards like myself but still accessible to the uninitiated (as confirmed by the Missus - although I'm gradually filling the gaps in her education to date). Sir Roger Moore described Skyfall as one of the best Bond films ever when I saw him on Tuesday. I took this description with a large pinch of salt thinking there was an element of hyperbole in his claim. I retract those thoughts unreservedly.

There are many bits of trivia and observations I will note down in a few days time (once I can safely make observations without spoiling the surprises for too many people) but for now let me leave you with a fact and an observation.

The observation is that the best Bond girls all seem to be French for some reason. Carole Bouquet, Eva Green and the most recent offering (who's name escapes me) along with several others have all been French. My theory is - if you will forgive the generalisation - that this is because no other girls on the planet can smoulder like French girls. There are many that are equally as pretty if not more so but they lack the same sensual, sultry qualities. Whatever the reason this trend is carried on in Skyfall.

The trivia (which I love) is that the stunt driver for the film is Ben Collins. Some say he was unfairly dismissed by the BBC for writing about himself and that he has an unhealthy fetish for the colour white. What we know is that he was the Stig (the anonymous racing driver on Top Gear for anyone who has been living under a rock). This adds another twist of slightly chauvinistic Britishness to the mix. The choice of Collins for the stunt driver is made better still by the fact that he did serve with the SAS for a while adding another connection to the shadow world of our intelligence services and special forcer.

Go see it. See it at the earliest possible opportunity.

JR

No comments:

Post a Comment