Wednesday 26 September 2012

Update from the Animal Sanctuary

I know I've written a lot about the animal sanctuary where I volunteer but here is yet another post about it. I haven't been for nearly a week due to a combination of job applications and a trip up home. Now that I've made it back, things have changed quite a bit.

Firstly some bad news. Henry, the yellow lab I wrote about in 'A Sad Story' has died. He was found to have kidney failure and cancer. From the moment he came in I knew he wasn't long for this world. As I wrote before, he was obviously old and poorly however since he came in to the sanctuary, he blossomed and his true character shone through. He was quite a personality and quite the man about the courtyard. I am deeply sorry he has gone and I shall miss him greatly. It is however some comfort to know that he lived out his last few weeks in the sanctuary where he was universally adored and fussed over (even if he did sometihemes mistake my fingers for treats!). He is the first dog I've encountered at the sanctuary that isn't either still there or been re-homed.

Now for some better news. Jack and Barney, the Jack Russell and Corgi cross who I have developed a particular soft-spot for have been re-homed. The lady in question decided on Jack then was sold on Barney not long afterwards. Jack is another old boy (he is 15) and is unlikely to survive all that much longer although you could never tell from the way he acts. I am so pleased that he will be able to see out his days in a loving and caring home. He will be a spectacular pet for his lucky owner and I hope his owner gets as much pleasure from him as he will get from them. Barney has form for being a bit of a hand-full. Butter wouldn't melt most of the time but sometimes he can just turn and become snappy. Fortunately the lady who adopted him is experienced in handling difficult dogs (although I still wouldn't call Barney difficult, tricky at best) and I have no doubt he will be called to heel soon. When that happens he will be a lovely pet. He's fun, fluffy and, for the most part, loving and I thing has the potential to give years of fun, amusement and love. I'm just really, really sad I didn't get to see them and say goodbye before they left. (I know complete sop).

Two of my other favourites are still around though. There's Westie, the giant boxer cross who is the biggest softie on the planet. A bald-patch and eye condition combine to make him a bit of an ugly brute but he is such a loving dog and has a wonderfully warm and friendly personality. He is a truly gentle giant and loves to be fussed over. I saw him today and fed him some treats through his pen. I did get the impression that, much as he was pleased about the treats, he would have far preferred to be out and being made a fuss of. The other one is Maddie; part-huskie, part-horse. She's huge, fluffy and packed with personality. She loves going out for long, long, long, long, LONG walks and generally being the centre of attention.

Once again, the work the sanctuary does is amazing. All the animals are fantastically well looked-after and, beyond that, although they are housed in kennels they are loved as individuals and looked after as part of a big family.

JR

No comments:

Post a Comment