Tuesday 11 September 2012

Andy Murray is STILL British

Well done Andy Murray. First grand-slam title under the belt. Hopefully many more to come. An achievement to be proud of.

However let me concentrate on an event a couple of days before the final which I found highly amusing (and heart warming).

During the press-conference following his win in the semi-finals, Murray was joined by two of his fellow countrymen. Sir Sean Connery and Alec Ferguson to be precise. Having watched the match, they wished to offer their congratulations. Fair enough. And given one of them is essentially James Bond, who is going to stand in their way?

According to a later interview, both of the older gentlemen smelled strongly of wine. To use the vernacular, they were a wee bit fu. Good on them! They obviously had a good time (in various ways) when watching the match and were feeling outgoing.

Newspapers reported that not long after Sir Sean turned up, Murray's mother joined the . That's hardly a surprise. I think my mother could move quicker than the speed of light if it came to getting close to Sir Sean. Irritatingly, I know several (extremely beautiful) girls my age would gladly do some extremely rude things to Sir Sean now - yes I am jealous!

Anyway, I thought the whole incident added a degree of warmth and humour to an otherwise fairly formal occasion. Podium invasions should certainly not be the norm but once in a while they can be forgiven.

JR

No comments:

Post a Comment