Monday 13 August 2012

Olympic Closing Ceremony

So that was it? The Olympics is now over. There's a lot I could say; most of it not exactly complimentary so I will exercise some self restraint and take a slightly irreverent tack.

Firstly, I can safely say that a childhood crush was reawakened. I still fancy Emma Bunton. Yes, I'll admit it. In my early teenage years I was something of a Spice Girls fan and most of it was nothing to do with the music. Having seen them again I experienced similar feelings and again Miss Bunton was still far and away the one for me. If anything, she has got more attractive now she is less fluffy. That said Victoria Beckham was looking stunning and seemed to be throwing herself into the performance despite some of her detractors claiming she may have been stuffed or replaced by a robot.

Other things I liked... Well I enjoyed the metaphor of the fames being opened by Paul McCartney and closed by John Lennon. Could they have been further apart in the performance? Well yeah, but not much!

I also rather enjoyed the fact that the next games will be in Rio... well Brazil. It provided ample opportunity for jokes about Brazilians (sorry folks, there's still part of me that's about twelve and he was sniggering at the back of the proverbial classroom)!

Although not closing ceremony related, Rowan Atkinson was magnificent. Really, he did it perfectly. Part tribute, part gentle satire. How utterly British.

Brian May was of course sublime. He is one of the few that can enjoy the title of bona fide rock god. The Who were also wonderful. Nobody does it like these guys (as was proven by young wipper-snappers covering some absolute classics for songs). Seeing them going strong was brilliant.

For me though, the show was stolen by Eric Idle. I have always liked 'Always Look on the Bright Side' and this performance of it hit the mark perfectly. Nods to Britain, nods to Python and plenty of the surreal. Idle's attempt a Bolywood dancing was hilarious. Good on him for going on and having a laugh.

Finally, the biggest high point of all. It's now all over and things can go back to normal. No longer will the television be saturated with sport and the papers show little else in their front few pages. I know I sound like a killjoy but the blanket refusal to acknowledge anything else in the world during the last two weeks has been a little bit trying. Our athletes, sporting ambassadors for our country, represented us well. Thank you for that. Now let real life re-commence.

JR

No comments:

Post a Comment