Monday 6 August 2012

Dogs Pt II

Sorry. I know I posted about animal rescue recently but today my heart was well and truly stolen.

After we took some big dogs for a walk (both of whom I would describe as amiable - they enjoyed attention but they were more interested in the walk) we asked if we could take out some of the smaller ones. The subtext was to take out Sammy and her new kennelmate Titch (a really sad story) since, as I mentioned, my girlfriend fell completely in love with her.

We did get to take out some small dogs but not the ones we were expecting. Instead we got a fifteen year old jack russle called (surprisingly) Jack and a corgi cross called Barney. I was utterly in love. Barney was an absolute sweetheart. We were told by the staff at the center that he was prone to biting and being silly. Once we got him out however, he was a model dog. He seemed to be wonderfully trained and so friendly. A few treats later and I felt confident that he was amenable enough (and I was quick enough) to give him a stroke. He was the opposite of aggressive. As well as being incredibly soft and fluffy, he loved being stroked and fussed over and he seemed to really warm to us.

As if that wasn't enough, Jack completely captured my heart. As soon as he came out of the kennel he fixed his (huge) eyes on me and barely took his eyes off me for the entire walk. He really didn't seem like he was 15. Although he was a wee bit stiff looking, he certainly didn't seem to be that old.  I have no idea what I did to ingratiate myself with him (it was my girlfriend that gave him more treats) but he was my wee four-legged shadow and he was adorable. For those of you interested in fairness; fear not. I did make sure Barney got nearly equal amounts of attention too, flattered though I was. They were both lovely after all.

I must admit, I did drive away with a large lump in my throat. As I sad before, all the animals are fantastically well looked after in the center but it's not quite the same as being ensconced in a loving home.

Right, I will stop before I start sounding emeticaly gushing. I'm sure everyone has stories similar to this one and there are certainly millions of animals out there that deserve similar treatment.

The next post will be on something different. I promise.

JR

No comments:

Post a Comment