Thursday 31 May 2012

Brain Teaser

I was filling out a job application yesterday. One of the questions asked me to name somebody I admired and state why. I had quite a job narrowing it down (Ian Fleming if you're interested) but it did make me think about people I admired. It also reminded me of a semi-sober conversation I had at uni. The essential question was; which ten people, dead or alive, would you invite to a dinner party?

I can't remember exactly who I chose but I'm willing to bet it wouldn't have been too different from who I would choose now. Here goes:

1) Churchill. Great leader, great politician and by all accounts excellent company. In short, a no-brainer.

2) Baroness Thatcher. Again, even if you don't like her policies, her leadership style must be admired. Plus, she's a scientist turned lawyer. Guaranteed interesting conversation.

3) Boris. Coz he's Boris. Does one need a better reason than that? He seems intelligent, witty, charming, funny and extremely eccentric.

4) Jeremy Clarkson. One of the last practitioners of free speech in the UK. He is sharp, funny and provides entertainment to millions. Even if you don't like what he says, odds are you'll love to hate him.

5) Ian Hyslop. I think he is the jewel in the crown of Have I Got News For You. He's sharp, clever and unfalteringly funny. Even Merton can't boast that all the time in my opinion. Plus, I think it would be rather amusing to watch him, Clarkson and Boris winding each other up.

6) Billy Connolly. One of the funnies beards/men ever to live. He seems to. exude wit and warmth perpetually. As well as being funny, he's deeply thoughtful. And who wouldn't want a man with a purple beard at the dinner table?

7) Ian Flemming. His pen created James Bond, "the spy story to end all spy stories" and arguably a genre in itsself. I would dearly love to meet him and where better than a hopefully sophisticated surrounding with plenty to drink.

8) Heston Blumental. I love food and I love cooking. With most chefs, I can understand the ideas behind their dishes and possibly have a stab at some sort of facsimile of them. Blumental's food bends my mind. It would be incredible to meet him, if only to ask where he starts when developing an idea.

9) Gen Sir Peter de la Billiere. General de la Billiere was tri-service commander on the ground during the first gulf war. He was commanding officer of the SAS during the Iranian Embassy seige. He has been involved in most major conflicts since Korea, almost always in a hands on manner. It would be incredible to hear his stories. And hopefully his presence along with Churchill and Flemming would cause the party to degenerate into a mess-style party.

10) Finally there is a tie between Oscar Wilde and Sir John Mortimer QC. Both writers. Both known for a quick turn of phrase. Both known to lap up decadence with ease. I'm genuinely not sure how to choose between them. Perhaps I won't then just "miscount" the place settings.

For the meal? I'm not sure. Nothing too technical and complex... I would want to concentrate on the company not the food. Also, I'm feeding one of the greatest chefs on the planet. Better to play safe and do it well rather than trying to over complicate everything and muck it up. Will have to ensure plenty drink and ash trays though!


JR

No comments:

Post a Comment