Sunday 16 December 2012

Designer Labels

I have recently been the beneficiary of quite an extraordinary stroke of good fortune. Someone I know happened to come by an extensive amount of designer kit, none of which fitted him, all of which fitted me.

As a result of this I have fallen heir to a suede jacket, leather jacket, cashmere overcoat and a beautiful two piece suit. All of these were made by the same designer. All fitted like they had been tailored and cumulatively, worth about three thousand quid (to the extent that I'm thinking about declaring them on the insurance policy).

Ironically, I've never been a massive fan of designer labels. Yes I wear an Omega watch and write with a Cross or Mont Blanc pen but in all those cases I am confident that the money was spent buying the best available rather than the label. Similarly Oakley or Ray Ban sunglasses can be afforded similar praise. They go beyond labels to be market leaders.

Therefore my initial excitement about the news was due to the fact that I desperately needed a new overcoat and navy blue suit rather than the fact that they were designer. That fact was largely by the way (or obeter dictum) in my mind. It still is to be honest. That said, bloody hell the designer knows his job. The suit jacket was cut beautifully. The sleeves were a bit on the short side which is how I like wearing them since I habitually wear double cuffs and cuff links. The trousers were the only pair I have tried on in years that fitted me perfectly. In addition to this, the over coat hit the mark perfectly.

All in all, I scored seriously lucky. Although I'm still reticent about designer labels for the sake of them, I'm willing to admit these ones are wonderful. That said, if I'm paying the money they're asking, I'm going to a tailor and getting stuff made bespoke.

For now though, I'm very happy to be a clothes horse. A model even!

JR

No comments:

Post a Comment