Saturday 28 July 2012

The Olympic Opening Ceremony

So that was it? The athletes ambled around the track, the flame(s) were lit and a load of British acts performed out of tune.

I will declare now that I am emphatically not a fan of the olympics. I think it over-hyped and over-hyped. However I was pressganged into watching some of the opening ceremony (a dog bite necessitating a trip to A+E saved me from all of it).

All I can say is, what a load of crap. Most of what I saw looked like a primary school interpretative dance class with the school orchestra playing the music. The one truly excellent bit was Rowan Atkinson's satire of iphones. My subversive side just couldn't help someone would trip up, especially towards the end. Or someone would ask to light a fag off the torch. Or there would be an announcement saying the torch was delayed due to traffic/tube problems.

As for the lighting of the flame; what a load of nonsense. I saw Sir Steve Redgrave light his torch and thought they had, for once, made a sensible choice. But then passing it round the sprogs? Really? Unless they have a crystal ball, how do the British Olympic chaps know that these proteges won't be crack addicts (or doing usefully, socially-responsible jobs) by the time of the Olympics. Surely it would have been better to leave the tasks to those who had actually achieved.

Over all it was a shambles. It just was. It's a shame it had to be but so be it.

JR

No comments:

Post a Comment