Friday 12 April 2013

Zippos Circus

Last week I went to the circus for the first time in nearly 20 years. The first time I went was for a school friend's birthday and I must confess, I've almost entirely forgotten the experience. It's not that I didn't enjoy it, it just didn't make a huge impression on me. As you can imagine, this trip was therefore inspired by my girlfriend suggesting we go. All I can say is... WHAT. A. SHOW!

Despite my initial ambivalence, I loved it.

The atmosphere was set perfectly by a suitably ostentatious big top surrounded by various caravans and containers. Inside was dimly lit with the smell of sawdust and popcorn (an oddly pleasant combination) pervading everywhere. Despite the size of the tent, the inside was surprisingly small thus giving the whole place an intimate atmosphere.

As I said, the whole show was fantastic. The performers engaged in suitably impressive feats of strength, gymnastic ability, horsemanship and daring. This was topped off by a ringmaster who was the perfect, slightly camp, exuberant showman.

Rather than spoiling the element of surprise, I will only mention acts that were particularly notable. The first that deserve a mention are the clowns. In my opinion, they really stole the show. Their act started with a perfectly choreographed parody of Gangnam style complete with aviator sunglasses and red noses. Throughout the show they carried on with their hi jinks, antics, horseplay and practical jokes (often involving audience participation). What impressed me was their ability to use almost exclusively physical comedy to get belly laughs.

Also worthy of note were the motorcyclists who, after pulling some impressive stunts in the ring, proceeded to cram into as a small spherical cage and round various parts of the circumference at high speed with only inches between them. Heart-stopping stuff!

The other acts were brilliant too however, as I said, I don't want to spoil the surprise if you go. Worth a special mention however are the Corps de Ballet, a group of stunningly beautiful young ladies who were employed to assist with the acts while gyrating hypnotically and generally looking beautiful and glamorous. One especially was a spiritual (or anatomical) relation to Pippa Middleton! I thought my admiration was discreet but apparently not!

Moving on swiftly, if you find Zippos Circus in a town near you, go. It was brilliant fun and left me with a smile on my face for days.

JR

No comments:

Post a Comment