Saturday 17 December 2011

The Church

Last week the Church of England officially sanctioned civil partnership ceremonies on it's premises to take place upon approval from the general synod. I can't say this development surprises me although I'm not entirely sure it's a good one. A scholar of theology I'm not but to my knowledge, the Christian church teaches that homosexuality is a sin. It therefore follows in my mind that, by forcing the Church to bless civil partnerships, they are being forced to go against their teachings and subverting what they believe. By undermining what they believe is right then surely the meaning and gravity of the ceremony its self is being undermined. Hardly a foundation for a successful and long-lasting relationship.

All this sounds very homophobic. It's not intended to be. What people do behind closed doors is their business as far as I'm concerned. I have been however been thinking about similar issues for quite some time.

For a bit of background, I do not regard myself as religious. My girlfriend on the other hand is profoundly Christian. She is very clear on the fact that, were we to ever get married, she would want to do so in a church. Hypothetically, this could leave me in a bit of an awkward situation. A church its self I don't have a problem with. The ceremony will have to take place in a building and churches are usually fairly picturesque. It's the religious element that concerns me. I don't think I would be comfortable taking religious vows. As I say, I'm not religious however I respect the strength of belief those that have religion feel. It would therefore feel totally disingenuous to throw myself into a ceremony I didn't believe in. At worst, I think it would undermine the institution of marriage which I take very seriously. I would feel that swearing to something I didn't believe in would be a lie and I don't think starting out married life on the basis of a lie is the best way to start a life together.

The compromise solution would seem to be having the ceremony in a church but in my case, taking secular vows. It does seem to have the potential to get rather complicated. Which should take precedence; the individual or the institution?

JR

No comments:

Post a Comment